05.09 Federal Register Activity -Medicare and Medicaid Programs Rate Change (90 Minutes)
All Proposed Federal Rules must be published in the Federal Register for public notification and comments. The Proposed rules are posted along with information related to the rules. Persons can comment on the rules and then the agency will take the comments and review and respond to the comments and issue a final rule to be adopted. It is sometimes a very involved and lengthy process. In this case your employer is an agency that bills for Medicare and Medicaid reimbursement and the proposed rules you are going to review is of interest to them/
Step 01. Start by going to the .pdf version of the proposed rules Medicare and Medicaid Program Rate Change rules.
Step 02. Review the following sections in preparation to answer the questions below.
1. Summary Section
4. Table of contents
6. Background – Statutory Authority
7. C. Updates to the Home Health Prospective Payment System on page 6 including Table 2
What to submit for the assignment
1. What is the purpose of this new proposed rule?
2. By what date must you submit comments and to whom must they be submitted?
3. Reviewing the table of contents what is your sense about the complexity of the proposed rule?
4. How familiar are you with the list of items contained in the Acronyms? Does this give you an idea of the complexity of the rule.
5. Any rule must be based in an authorization from a law? In reviewing the Background –Statutory Authority section list at least 5 Public Laws that are used to support the adoption of the rule. What is the total number of Public Laws (PL) are ultimately listed as a basis for drafting the rule?
6. From your review of Section C. Updates to the Home Health prospective Payment System and Table 2 do you have any idea what the proposed rate will be after the rule is adopted?
7. After reading this portion of the Federal Register what is you impression of being asked to review and comment on Proposed Rules in the Federal Register.