1. Challenging: Challenge them to do things better
2. Inspiring: Inspire them to do things better
4. Modeling: Show them how to act. Show them the way. Lead by example.
5. Encouraging: Encourage them to do things better. You have to reward them. Recognize them by rewarding them.
Ex: the pilot from the Ebola flight Airline. He had to sit in that person’s seat. You have to model the way and show people.
Leaders don’t like to hear bad news. The have to face brutal facts. They killed the messenger when they brought the facts. The magnitude for GM to make. GM’s down fall didn’t come on a Monday morning. All this was revealing over a period of time.
If you’re a leader you must be able to face the brutal facts. Someone is doing a better job than us. You have to be very objective. If they take steps to face it.
Another proactive on leadership. Jake Welch. Extremely successful over performance. He is one of the best leaders in the USA.
GE company-General Electric
They had their own leadership school outside of NY.
Success from the leadership training.
The 4 E Leaders at GE
A successful leader at GE must have energy. Energize other people. She must have a competitive edge. They must be able to execute. Assessment at GE is performance.
Leaders have to make the life and death of decisions. Get rid of people who don’t live on your values. Leader has to make tough decisions.
GE puts people into 4 categories
1. Live values: How to treat people. They make the number they met their goals. They are keepers. Crème and crap
2. Do not live values and they don’t make the numbers. They are goners.
3. Live values but don’t make the numbers: he would give them a second chance. But if you live the values. You conduct yourself the way GE conducts themselves. They will give you a second chance
4. They don’t live the values but met their goals these people get canned. They don’t treat customers with respect, late to meetings, miss days. If he can get away with it then the rest will go with it. They aren’t behaving in the cord as GE and you need to find work elsewhere. They contaminate the company.Another leader Bod latus. A very colorful. Controversial. He gets away with a lot of things at GM. He got eight laws about leadership
· Customer is not always right. Customer often don’t know what they want.
· Primary business is not to make money. If you’re a leader you can’t start will to often companies, leader’s to start down with the financial status. The money flows from the product. So start with the product. Too often leaders neglect the product.
· Do not do what other are doing. Vision. Are innovative. Good profits. Great visions in doing something different. Ex: Walt Disney, redefined what cartoon is. henry ford
· Disruptive people are assets: you want that in the company. Disruptive people challenge you. You don’t want to people who say yes always….
· Teamwork is not always good. Teamwork without good leadership is gone to waste.
· Dress for success.
· Leader must make the best course of action. You don’t want to reach a consensus decisions. Are decisions no one likes. You can’t please everybody. You have to take all that input and see what is the best course of action
· Best leadership is come sense. If they don’t make common sense then they won’t work
Him and Abraham Lincoln can come from humble beginnings and reach higher.
Advice for all of us
· Avoid emotional high jacking. You can take your position not your ego. They can attach your position. Fix skin. You can’t take everything personal
· Seek information from the front lines: Talk to those people who know what’s going on. Front line. Get out of the building.
· Reward you best performers and fire those who don’t. Disloyalty.
· Surround yourself around the best people. Surround yourself around people who are smarter than you. Surround yourself around people who can succeed you. Those who can protect you.
· Treat people as your partners. Walk around front line. Pick those partners.
If I’m optimistic than everyone will be optimistic. Pessimistic will bring a lot of nay.
Be optimistic after some time. Give it some time. Rather than immediately over reacting over the problem.
His biggest mistake was about Iraq’s mass distraction.
When people was giving me a song to dance. His failure when he was unable to see he was led astray. He went to the United Nations because he was credited in front of them. Leaders don’t have formula. It all goes down to experience, knowledge and gut.
· To be an effective leader, you need to have a lot of knowledge. As you go up the leader, a leader must be social, internal and external issues.
Senior officers must learn about the world.
· It’s all about people. Leadership perceptive. Organizations don’t get things done only people get things done. People skills are so critical. That you communicate them effectively.
John Maxwell he is a major researcher. 25 books on leadership. Interesting ideas.
21 irrefutable laws
1. Law of the lid: you can’t go higher than that. In order to keep raising you have to develop you interpersonal skills.
2. Law of magnetism we tend to like people who are like us. Republicans like rep. demo like demo. As leaders you tend to attract people to your team who are like you. But you have to guard against this. You need to surround people around you have different skills and beliefs. You need to seek these people because these people aren’t going to go after you. Make a conscious effect to have a well-rounded group of followers
3. Law of connection people don’t care how much you know until they know how much they care about them. Servant leadership. Employee oriented. Genuine advancement. Then they will contribute to your team.
4. Law of empowerment: easy to say easy to understand, I want you get this job done. Do wants necessary to get the job done. Theory y vs theory x (don’t give power)
5. Law of sacrifice: keep distance between you and your followers. You should not be personal friends with them. Difficult decisions. Give up.
The 21 qualities of leadership
· Quality integrity: ethical value beliefs. This goes back to trust. If you use their trust they will never trust you again. They will forgive you if you made a mistake.
· Commitment: like law of sacrifice. First one in and the last one out. You can’t inspire other people if you aren’t inspired yourself.
· Communication: you have to be able to communicate with them. How will get their commitment if you can’t tell why and how to get things done. Stay with fancy people.
· Focus on your strength: Spend 80% on what your good and only 20% on improving your weaknesses. You will get more of your effort on your strength. Ex: if I am weak in finance get a person who is very good on it.
If you can’t carry the ball then you can’t lead the way. Give me the ball Michael Jordan was a great leader not just a basketball player. There’s no I in team but there is in win, Michael Jordan.
· Character and charisma
Charisma is to make other people fill good and well about themselves.
· Servant hood: Caring for your followers. Showing concern for their personal and professional needs.
· Vision: when assessing the status quo. Looking for the solutions for the company. What drives the leader? The leader drives the organization, the vision drives the leader. All the goals should be consistent with the vision. *** What do you need to know about your followers: It depends on the quantity of your followers? You need to know a lot about your core people. A leader needs to know what the followers needs are.
|The five basic categories:
|1. Alienate: come for the pay check. They are not happy. Don’t complain. They thing about them self but they have a lot of energy. They always in the leader side.|
|2. Conformist: yes man they do what they are told. Not independent perspective. They need that type of direction no creativity.|
|3. Pragmatist they’re ok. They know how to play the political game in the org. they aren’t really committed but they know how to play that.|
|4. Passive. They don’t think for themselves. They passion. They do what they are told to do. They aren’t people you want to empower.|
|5. Exemplary: the critical group. 20/80 group. You have 25 people 5/6 are the ones you count on. The ones who get the work done. They think independently and think of the best cross of action.|
Maslow Needs Pyramid:
· Security: Job security
· Physiological: Followers need to feel they belong. They care for you and you care for them. People will have a need to esteem. Recognizing the team and good work. People love to be recognized. Self-esteem that comes with other people that you are a valuable member of the org. That is when you begin to have self-actualization.
When people are concerned about esteem that’s when recognition comes in.
Motivation You can motivate people through 4 ways:
· Work Assignments: you want to give people task that they have the ability to do.
· Cognitive rational approach. Articulate the people what needs to be done to do the task. Empower them to take the actions necessary and do reward them when getting the job done preformed. Transactional –path goal theory
· Situational: Similar to work assignment approach. Consistent to their values and skills. We can still redesign the matrix. How can we make this assignment better? More appealing to your skills? Adds value or perhaps more consistent with your skills. Discuss the plan and carry out this plan. More acceptable and more feasible.
You have to lead by example. You have to motivate your followers by being motivated and inspired. If you could care less then that’s going to be apparent to your followers and they will act the same way.
Leaders tend to be happy with the organization (success) they are responsible how the company operates. I like it, you should like it. I helped design. If the leader is content with the org that doesn’t mean the followers feel the same. Don’t transfer your own feelings unto your followers.
Employees who are alienate. You have to cut them loss. If you let a bad situation go on and on and on than that’s where the infection occurs.
People will act differently in teams.
A group of collection of people who have common interest (Baseball/church) but a team is more interdependent and cohesive and more common interest. Org. rely on teams. Teams are imp because technology is advancing. We are becoming a nation of specialist no one can do the whole job. But when you have a number of specialist you need a team. Ex: a hospital operating room.
The down size it becomes dehumanizing if you go to a doc. You become a hand or bladder they can perform on your whole health screen.
A team leader has to see if all the pieces of the puzzle are in place.
The structure of the team will have an effect on the team members. You need to be cognitive of the team structure.
One thing is to know about the
1. Team size: (Leader has to decide) when you put together the size of the team. Keeping it as small as possible no people you need for the teams work gets done. The larger the team it’s easier to hide…free riding the bigger the team the bigger the problem. The smaller the team, the harder to hide from responsibilities. No extras just whose expertise you need
2. Norms: Team norms is a manager role establishing norms. Team leaders communicates expectation from team members. I expect everyone to contribute. I want to know what everyone thinks. You have to voice your opinion. As a team leader, you can’t allow one or two strong dominate alpha males to intermediate other people because of their expertise. Ex: even a spy in the group to kiss ass in front of leader
3. Cohesiveness: you have to create a cohesive team. They have to cooperate on certain problems. Cohesiveness is a double edge sword. If the team becomes too cohesiveness it will become an independent entity pursuing its own agenda….what best for the team but what’s best for the organization. You have to guard against. A perfect example: is the republic and democratic parties….they have become into group thinks very cohesive. They put the interest in what’s best for them, funds for them. They put their own interest ahead of the own country.
4. Individual’s member’s roles in the team: you will be assigning tasks on the team. Making the assignments to certain representatives. You have to recognize that your individual role will affect the team. More interest and vocal in the roles will affect the team. What is expected from these individuals?
What determines the team performance is size, norms, cohesiveness, roles, team empowerment?
The org. needs to empower the team to develop the most effective strategy in accomplishing these goals. John I need you to set up a team. They have to empower him to get good team performance. A clear strategy and goals. They will fall heavily on the leader’s shoulders.
I have to make such they have the resources to get the job done. The team leader is also responsible for external relationships. The team leader is the mediator Maybe you report back to the vp …team external relationship. The team should have resources that you need to get them to complete the job right. That team isn’t going nowhere if the leader doesn’t know where he is going. You are responsible for the social integration of the team.
Why being a wake. Recognizing these are some concepts and ideas I should keep in mind. I should create norms.
Identify two # teams you are in. Norms how they behave, the cohesiveness and your role. How do they affect your performance in these two teams? I work so and so in this team verses the other.