Identify the major themes on business models presented in Ovans’s 2015 article, “What Is a Business Model?”. Next, compare these themes with the ones presented in Harvard Business Review (2013) article and video of the Business Model Canvas and the discussion led by Dr. Osterwalder. What are key or major findings? What are the points of uncertainty and ambiguity?
For the second part of this discussion, review and evaluate Dr. Porter’s Five Forces. How and why does the Five Forces model link to the success or failure of the company business model?
All posts and assignments are considered formal research writing. This means no personal pronouns, no paragraphs without a citation. Listing and citing of all references using current APA style and formatting. It is permitted to use tables and lists with bullets or numbers. Use APA headings to format your initial discussion post. Use the APA Module, linked in the Resources, to guide your formatting. Use the following list to develop your post and include the information you gather under its corresponding heading:
· Introduction: Tell the reader the purpose of the post and what will be covered.
· Theory: Business Model and Five-Forces:
· Identify and describe the main points and themes of the Ovans (2015) article and the Harvard Business Review (2013) article and video. Note common elements where the discussions are aligned.
· Now, add the concept of Dr. Michael Porter’s Five Forces from the assigned video. How can the Five Forces model be applied to the business model concepts? Be as specific as possible.
· Conclusion: Sum up the key points of the post in one or two sentences.
· References: Using APA style and format, list the references you used for your post.
You are encouraged, but not required, to utilize the following resources in your discussion post:
· Read the DaSilva and Trkman (2013) article and add their additional perspective on business models. How does the research from this article compare with the required readings? What is not a business model?
· Watch the Porter’s 2008 video on the five competitive forces that shape strategy.
Note: You will receive feedback on this addition to your post, but not extra credit.
Your post to this discussion must include all the assigned readings. The post must be a minimum of 250 words in length, with no maximum. Remember to list your references in current APA format at the end of your post.
This activity will help you achieve the following learning components:
· Describe the design of business models.
· Describe the industry value chain.
· Demonstrate critical thinking.
· Follow APA protocols and format.
· Identify perspectives.
Alexander Osterwalder: The Business Model Canvas – YouTube