Choose and write on one question from below. Use the question that you are attempting as the title of your essay.
500 and 600 words long, a Word Count at the end of your essay.
1. Critically examine the claim that “The trans-Atlantic slave trade was based on a pre-existing slavery institution in Africa.”
3. Discuss the economic and political motives for European expansion into Africa in the 19th Century
4. To what extent could it be argued that “Colonialism gave birth to the forces that overthrew it.”
Vincent Khapoya. Chapter 5: “African Nationalism and the Struggle for Freedom” (mainly resource)
· Adu Boahen (1966), “The Partition of Africa.” In Adu Boahen, Topics in West African History. London: Longman. Pp. 127-133
· C.L.R. James. “The Atlantic Slave Trade and Slavery: Some interpretations of their significance in the development of the United States and the western world.” In Floyd W. Hayes III, A Turbulent Voyage: Readings in African American Studies. San Diego: Collegiate Press 2000. Pp. 58-82.
· Joseph E. Inikori. “Slavery in Africa and the Transatlantic Slave Trade.” In Jalloh and Maizlish, eds. The African Diaspora. Arlington: University of Texas, 1996.