Type: Discussion Board
Unit: Motivation and Profiling of Terrorist Groups
Due Date: Tue, 7/10/18
Grading Type: Numeric
Points Possible: 75
Points Earned: 0
Deliverable Length: 2 parts: See assignment details
View objectives for this assignment
Looking for tutoring? Go to Smarthinking
Collapse All | Expand All Collapse All | Expand All
Reminder: Initial Discussion Board posts due by Friday, responses due by Tuesday
Students will be expected to post their first initial discussion board posting by Friday of each week. Discussion posts will be graded and late submissions will be assigned a late penalty in accordance with the late penalty policy found in the syllabus. NOTE: All submission posting times are based on midnight Central Time.
Students are expected to post their responses to peers by Tuesday. NOTE: All submission posting times are based on midnight Central Time.
Misconceptions of Terrorist Motivations
As you learned this week, groups typically labeled as terrorist have a heterogeneous nature. This nature is often overlooked because of the emotional connotations from the label of terrorism. When evaluating groups that use terrorist tactics, it is necessary to look beyond surface similarities and identify these heterogeneous characteristics. This week, utilize any group currently identified as terrorists, and answer the following:
Primary Task Response: Within the Discussion Board area, write 400–600 words that respond to the following questions with your thoughts, ideas, and comments. This will be the foundation for future discussions by your classmates. Be substantive and clear, and use examples to reinforce your ideas:
· What characteristics, if any, do members of the group share?
· Besides race or ethnicity, what significant misconceptions do you think are made regarding the characteristics of terrorist groups?
· Why do you think those misconceptions exist? Explain.
· These characteristics are often shallow. Identify what heterogeneous characteristics exist within the group.
· Are these characteristics significant to the goals and motivations of the terrorist group? Why or why not?
· How can heterogeneous characteristics be exploited to weaken a group’s infrastructure?
Responses to Other Students: Respond to at least 2 of your fellow classmates with at least a 100-word reply about their Primary Task Response regarding items you found to be compelling and enlightening. To help you with your discussion, please consider the following questions:
· What did you learn from your classmate’s posting?
· What additional questions do you have after reading the posting?
· What clarification do you need regarding the posting?
· What differences or similarities do you see between your posting and other classmates’ postings?
For assistance with your assignment, please use your text, Web resources, and all course materials.
Poland, Chapters 1, 2
· Describe and discuss current government strategies used to disseminate information on terrorist groups, acts of terror and potential threats.
· Describe and discuss the psychological phenomena related to media coverage of terrorism.
· Understand the misconceptions and inaccuracies about the motivations of terrorist groups.
· Understand profiling and the typical psychological and cultural make-up of modern terrorists.
There is no additional information to display at this time.
· Extra Credit
· View Assignment Rubric