Final Paper Instructions
Students will write a 3-5 page paper focused on exploring the pros and cons to drug decriminalization, while incorporating concepts from the lectures, discussions, textbook readings, and at least two journal articles.
Watch the following Videos and read the listed articles supporting both sides of the drug decriminalization argument.
· Why we need to end the War on Drugs – Ethan Nadelmann https://www.ted.com/talks/ethan_nadelmann_why_we_need_to_end_the_war_on_drugs
· Everything you think you know about addiction is wrong – Johann Hari https://www.ted.com/talks/johann_hari_everything_you_think_you_know_about_addiction_is_wrong
· A better way to win the war on drugs – Bart de Koning https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f5pdxeyVpbU
· Russell Brand’s press conference in Vienna with the Support. Don’t Punish Campaign https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2FGP7yXmWJM
· 2017 Global Day of Action – Support. Don’t Punish https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=3&v=MWeUIGT7P2o
· Drugs: More or Fewer Controls? Decriminalization without larger moral purpose would fail- https://barstow.instructure.com/courses/3140/files/194085/download?verifier=zqwqcySdmGJpxBgACedOha9qBN0xc2IGHTgEsOVd&wrap=1
· Decriminalisation of drugs would liberate our streets- https://barstow.instructure.com/courses/3140/files/194086/download?verifier=FmhAY8oHmSM5kpseYRfewJE0PA1tndd7OmdqrEvP&wrap=1
· Four points of drug decriminalization- https://barstow.instructure.com/courses/3140/files/194087/download?verifier=pFXCpsr9nIs1AabDsoJytFLYbCOUuju7LeYC2iws&wrap=1
· A paradox in overcriminalization- https://barstow.instructure.com/courses/3140/files/194089/download?verifier=MKsV4MTaZgvVP4IFircny9MBir00BX2BGyy0syOA&wrap=1
· A content analysis of the drug legalization debate- https://barstow.instructure.com/courses/3140/files/194089/download?verifier=MKsV4MTaZgvVP4IFircny9MBir00BX2BGyy0syOA&wrap=1
· Misdemeanor decriminalization- https://barstow.instructure.com/courses/3140/files/194090/download?verifier=v9QtajO4DMhZeiIfARhVBbFnyMPBacWFIAC5SNyi&wrap=1
Please following these guidelines and format for your paper
1. APA Title Page
2. No abstract is needed
3. Use Headers and Subheadings
4. APA format Reference page required
5. Example of Subheadings
The length of the final paper should be from 3-5 pages (not including the Title page and Reference page) in APA format. Students should review the grading criteria grid before they begin to write.
Expectations for Written Assignments:
AS THIS IS A COLLEGE LEVEL COURSE, IT IS EXPECTED THAT ALL RESPONSES TO THE DISCUSSION QUESTIONS & ALL PAPERS ARE WRITTEN WITH CORRECT GRAMMAR, PUNCTUATION, SPELLING, & SENTENCE STRUCTURE. HELP WITH READING/WRITING SKILLS, IS AVAILABLE AT: http://www.barstow.edu/library_electronic_resources.html
(Sample Paper Headings)
An Analysis on Drug Decimalization
Here you type your introduction to the paper…
History of Drug Laws in the United States
Here you discuss the history of drug laws in the US and abroad if desired. Be sure you cite references, as regurgitating historical information is not your own thought content.
Benefits to the War on Drugs
Here you discuss articles, videos, textbook information, and research on the benefits and effects of the war on drugs that have been successful.
Consequences to Criminalizing Drugs and Users
Here you discuss articles and research, videos, textbook information, and research on the negative effects of criminalizing drug use and abuse. You should also present information on success rates of other countries or states that have decriminalized drugs.
This section should be your personal opinion on how to best address drug use i.e. do you believe drugs should be decriminalized?
Use APA format to list your references on a separate page. Please ensure you use at least two academic journal articles.
|Criteria for grading the Final Paper for PSYC/SOCI 14 at Barstow Community College|
|Points 1 2 3 4 5|
|APA Style||Margins, headings, text citation and reference list frequently are inconsistent with APA guidelines.||Paper has occasional mistakes in APA documentation.||Running heads, page numbers, headings, margins, text citations and references are consistent with APA guidelines.||x1|
|Mechanics||Paper has frequent errors related to spelling, pronoun agreement, possessives, split infinitives, punctuation. Paper contains multiple run-on sentences or sentence fragments.||Paper has occasional errors related to spelling, word choice, pronoun agreement, possessives, split infinitives, and punctuation. Paper contains occasional errors in sentence structure. There is minimal variety in sentence structure or length.||Spelling, punctuation, grammar and word choice are correct. Sentences are complete, and they are varied in length and number||x3|
|Organization||Paper is disorganized and incoherent.||Paper is incomplete. It lacks a well-developed introduction, body, and conclusion. Paragraphs are well-organized with topic sentence, support for the idea expressed in the topic sentence, and conclusion.||Paper contains a clear introduction and conclusion. The body of the paper is logically ordered. Transitions from one topic to the next are logical and smooth.||x3|
|Substance||Paper does not focus on the assignment and contains minimal references to the concepts discussed in the text and in class. Facts are inaccurate and/or not cited from the literature.||Paper addresses the assignment and contains references to some basic concepts but omits others. Facts are accurate but not always cited from the literature.||Paper thoroughly addresses the assignment, and covers all pertinent concepts from the text and class discussion and utilizes the professional literature to expand upon them or add additional concepts. Facts are accurate and cited.||x5|
|Application||Content shows little personal insight, is superficial, and is narrow in scope. Little attempt is made to understand the various influences on values and beliefs. Limited integration of theory with personal values and practice implications.||Content shows self-awareness and a willingness to explore a number of influences on personal beliefs and values. Theory and concepts discussed in class are somewhat integrated into discussion of personal values and practice implications.||Content exhibits not only personal insight but also a willingness to examine personal beliefs A broad yet deep understanding of the range of expressions and the issues of sexually oppressed groups is evident.||x8|
|Total Points Possible 100|