MondayJun 18 at 5:37pm
Manage Discussion Entry
Identify the global societal issue you have chosen to research for your Final Paper, an argumentative essay, and explain why further research on this topic is important.
Critical thinking skills for the 21st century:
Companies are seeking well diverse employees. Lots of applications are flooding the world, some with advance education, some with minimal education and some with no education. To make the advance education applications stand out, one must showcase how they are different compared to the others. Showing what they bring to the table is more diverse, well rounded and performance of applying skills to real world situations.
Researching this topic is important because these skills are being demanding in the work field today. Being educated is extremely important, over years education standards change. Being able to critically think, solve problems, analysis issues and applying all resources will establish the new knowledge base for society.
Provide a clear and concise thesis statement that includes a solution to the global societal issue.
Critical thinking skills for the 21st century is a requirement to meet educational needs because it allows students to learn how to analyze problems, solve them and apply them to reality, as they now apply to future jobs and success.
Explain how this global societal issue impacts a specific population.
This particularly impacts the 21st century, which is classified from year 2001 to 2100.
The global digital citizen foundation explains why these skills are important. The 21st century skills include, problem solving, analytic thinking, communication, ingenuity, partnership and ethics, achievement and responsibility.
· Problem solving
· There will be future problems no yet sought of that will complex.
· It will require the 21st century to focus and contribute a solution to the real-world problems.
· There is constant stimulation with technology.
· They need to be able to create solutions for meaningful tasks and challenges.
· Analytic thinking
· Using higher end thinking skills to see data and information in different ways.
· Empowering them to make more effective decisions within their life.
· 21st century by nature socializes through technology.
· Learning partnership in school allows them to engage in their work more thoroughly.
· The sharing of information and different forms of interaction opens them to face to face connections.
· Ethics, achievements and responsibility
· Help form the 21st century into well-rounded individuals
· Respecting different cultures
· Being adequate with online and offline interactions (Watanabe-Crockett, 2016, p 4).
Locate a peer-reviewed scholarly source and provide statistical data that you found surprising on the topic.
Science directs has an article on how the “development of 21st century skills scales as perceived by student” they took samples of junior high students with factors, indicators, number of questions and example questions. It contains total of 44 questions and it “focuses on examining validity by considering factor structure of 21st century skills” (Ongardwanich, Kanjanawasee, & Tuipae, 2015). It was very interesting to look through this article and looking at the charts of the variables correlates with relationships. From their research, they found that the “21st century skills should give importance to life and career skills, with the aims of students gaining flexibility and adaptability, initiative and self-direction, social and cross-cultural skills, productivity and accountability, and leadership and responsibility” (Ongardwanich, Kanjanawasee, & Tuipae, 2015).
Ongardwanich, N., Kanjanawasee, S., & Tuipae, C. (2015). Development of 21st Century Skill Scales as Perceived by Students[PDF]. Science Direct.
Watanabe-Crockett, L. (2016, August 2). The Critical 21st Century Skills Every Student Needs and Why [Web log post]. Retrieved from https://globaldigitalcitizen.org/21st-century-skills-every-student-needs