Hernandez-Ojeda PERSUASIVE SPEECH
PREPARATION OUTLINE- PERSUASIVE SPEECH
Please indicate the following information in your Preparation Outline.
TYPE OF PROPOSITION (value, facts, policy?): ________________________________________
OUTLINE (Monroe’s Motivated Sequence)-
1. Attention step
· Which attention-grabber device?
2. Need step
· Problem and consequences
· Audience’s role
1. Satisfaction step
· Your solutions
4. Visualization step
5. Action appeal step
· Appeal for action
· Which concluding-device?
Here is a summary of Monroe’s Motivated Sequence:
1. The attention step
· Get the audience’s attention
· Describe your goals and preview the speech
2. The need step
· Describe the problem as well as the consequences.
· Alert audience members to their role in mitigating the issue.
3. The satisfaction step
· Outline your solutions to the problems (deal with objections )
4. In the visualization step
· Ask audience members to visualize what will happen if solutions are implemented and if they don’t.
5. The action appeal step
· Make a direct appeal for action.
· Describe how the audience should react and how they should carry out these actions.
Source: Stone Watt, S. & Barnett, J. T. (2012). Persuasive speaking. In Public speaking: The virtual text, L. Schreiber (Ed.). Millersville, PA: The Public Speaking Project. Retrieved from http://www.publicspeakingproject.org/persuasive.html