Write a 3–5 page executive summary that examines an organization’s diversity policies and practices.
Becoming a nursing leader requires a good deal of thought, consideration, and evaluation of the qualities you believe are essential for a nurse to effectively lead in the delivery of health care.
By successfully completing this assessment, you will demonstrate your proficiency in the following course competencies and assessment criteria:
· Competency 3: Analyze the role of multiculturalism and diversity in organizational and systems structure and leadership.
. Analyze the impact of a diverse nursing workforce on patient outcomes.
. Analyze how the health care system integrates diversity and multiculturalism into its practices.
. Analyze current recruitment and retention policies to identify gaps between best practices and current policies.
· Competency 4: Evaluate how power relates to health care organizational structure, behavior, and leadership.
. Assess the level of integration and importance of multiculturalism and diversity in a health care organization.
. Recommend evidence-based changes to the organizational structure and systems leadership that empower a diverse workforce.
· Competency 5: Communicate in a manner that is consistent with the expectations of a nursing professional.
. Write content clearly and logically, with correct use of grammar, punctuation, and mechanics.
. Correctly format citations and references using current APA style.
Multiculturalism and Diversity
Multiculturalism and diversity are significant factors in U.S. society, impacting all organizations; but in health care, the impact has significant consequences that can be seen in quality of care and patient outcomes. Due to constantly changing demographics, nursing leaders must remain vigilant when monitoring the impact of multiculturalism and diversity within their organizations and the communities served by the organizations. The multiple stakeholders affected by a multicultural and diverse workforce include patients, families, communities, system partnerships, et cetera. Nursing leaders must incorporate approaches that are inclusive and respectful of all stakeholders in the health care workforce, patient population, and the larger community that is served by the organization.
To prepare for this assessment, use the Capella library and the Internet to study the impact of health system’s power structure on nursing, leadership, diversity related to empowerment in nursing and patient outcomes, and recruitment of a diverse workforce. You may also wish to look for examples of an executive summary on the Internet.
· Identify a type of health care facility and examine the Web site and available public information to review the organization of the nursing department, nursing recruitment, and any information about the diversity of the system’s workforce and leadership.
. You may use the health care setting in which you currently work or have worked in the past.
. Describe the type of organization and region. Example: a major Midwestern teaching hospital or a rehabilitation hospital on the East Coast.
. Do not report the name of the facility.
Deliverable: Executive Summary of Organizational Diversity
Read the following scenario:
The city in which you work has undergone a significant population shift within the last 10 years, due to increased employment, education opportunities, and an influx of immigrants and refugees. To put the population shift in perspective, the local school district enrollment report states that nearly 100 languages are spoken in the schools, up from 32 languages in the last census. Senior leadership has asked you to examine all types of multiculturalism and diversity within your health care organization.
To do this, you will need to use a systems perspective to examine the relationship between a diverse workforce and patient outcomes; identify gaps between best practices and the organization’s diversity policies, and make a recommendation for organizational change.
In the executive summary:
· Analyze the impact of a diverse workforce on patient outcomes.
. In what ways or situations might multiculturalism and diversity impact health care delivery or patient outcomes?
. How is diversity defined in the organization?
· Analyze how the health care system integrates diversity and multiculturalism into its practices.
. Is the makeup of the organization’s leadership representative of the patient and employee populations? Is this important? What would you change?
. Explain how multiculturalism and diversity can impact health care delivery or patient outcomes.
· Analyze current recruitment and retention policies to identify gaps between best practices and current policies.
· Assess the level of integration and importance of multiculturalism and diversity in a health care organization.
. Are all types of diversity recognized and included?
. Provide support for your position by including 2 or 3 examples of the integration of multiculturalism and diversity into the organization.
· Recommend evidence-based changes to the organizational structure and systems leadership that empower a diverse workforce.
. What changes would you champion as a health care leader to make the system more responsive to patients and the organization’s workforce?
Make your document easy to scan for readers by:
· Using subheadings to organize content.
· Using bullet points and phrases for main points, in addition to short, succinct paragraphs.
· Including a visual, such as a graph, table, or chart.
· Written communication: Written communication should be free of errors that distract from the overall message.
· APA formatting: Resources and in-text citations should be formatted according to current APA style and formatting.
· Font and font size: Times New Roman, 12 point, double-spaced.
· Length: Summary report should be 3–5 pages.