PURPOSE: The purpose of this assignment is to read a nonfiction true crime book, or an approved novel and just as a criminologist in the FBI Behavioral Unit would be assigned, apply theories and concepts and typologies from our course to the behavior in the behavior in the book . The goal is to engage students in the real life work of criminologists in using all the information at hand to understand why crime occurs. You may think of yourself as a criminal profiler writing a memo to your supervisor supplying possible explanations for the behavior of the perpetrator(s). A list of suitable books will be supplied, and students may suggest their own books, but must get Instructor approval. The books are available in the library, online, in bookstores, and on your own bookshelf! A further purpose of this assignment is for students to achieve a further degree of comfort writing a short research paper. Model papers will be posted under Course Materials.
FORMAT: The format must be followed, turnitin.com used and all requirements met, or their will be 2 points deduction for each omission.
1. Your cover page will be a Color copy of the cover of your book.
2. Your second page will be your title paper with your name, course, Instructor, date. You may
Include this on the cover page if desired.
3. The next page will be an outline of what theories and concepts you are using. Its always logical to start with childhood and work through to adulthood. I will have model outlines posted.
4. Page 1 –this starts the page count of 6-8 pages; 1 or 2 short Paragraph review of your perpetrator’s behavior and what happened to the victims. Page numbers must be inserted.
5. Now begins the analysis; its composed as a memo in which there is heading e.g. “Psychology Theory”, and your topic (ADHD) centered on the page. Next you identify how this theory applied to your perpetrator or victim. (see model paper)
6. You must use THREE SCHOLARLY JOURNAL ARTICLES IN YOUR ANALYSIS. We will go over this in class; the point is to become familiar with data basis in the library and strengthen your argument. The scholarly articles serves as sources to bolster your argument. ( e.g. recent articles
connecting concussive syndrome to battered child syndrome).
7. The rest of your sources may be from the text, lectures, internet etc. BUT THEY MUST BE SOURCED. EVERY IDEA NOT YOUR OWN MUST BE SOURCED OR IT IS PLAGERISM.
8. YOU WILL HAVE MORE TO WRITE THAN CAN BE CONDENSED IN A 6-8 PAPER.
9. PRINT OUT THE FIRST PAGE OF EACH SCHOLARLY ARTICLE; I MUST SEE IT BEFORE THE 8TH WEEK OF CLASS AND IT MUST BE ATTACHED TO YOUR RESOURCE PAGE.
10. The last section of your paper is IMPLICATIONS; WHAT DOES THIS MEMO REALLY MEAN IN TERMS OF POLICY AND CHANGE IN THE CRIMINAL JUSTICE SYSTEM.
11. USE TURNITIN.COM AND CORRECT IF YOU ARE OVER 10%, DO NOT INCLUDE YOUR REFERENCES.
12. THE PAPER IS DUE AT THE FINAL EXAM, HARDCOPY and on Turnitin.
Partial List of Possible Book Choices
Columbine, David Cullen and a Mother’s Reckoning, Sue Klebold School mass murder
Halfway Heaven, Melanie Thernstrom murder/suicide at Harvard University
Lucky, Alice Sebold, Rape ; on a college campus
A Stolen Life and the sequel just published, Jaycee Dugard ;kidnapping and rape of a child
Are You There Alone, Andrea Yates; mental illness; drowning of 5 children
In Cold Blood, Capote first true crime described as literature
Night Stalker, Carlo; serial murder and rape
The Stranger Beside Me, Ann Rule; Ted Bundy
Exposed, the Secret Life of Jody Arias; Female homicidal stalker
Deviant, Shocking True Story of Ed Gein; model for Silence of the Lambs
The Smartest Guys in the Room, McClean; white collar crime and the Enron debacle
Defending Jacob, William Landrey; murder, secrets, the violence gene?, excellent.
Helter Skelter, Vincent Bugliosi, the Manson Murder written by the District Attorney who prosecuted the case.
Ghettoside, Jill Leovy, excellent award winning book on the relationship between law enforcement and citizens in South Central Los Angeles.
If you find a book you believe is appropriate, please let me know!