SMART Goals Worksheet
Instructions: Identify a personal goal, an academic goal, and a professional goal.
1. On the Goal line, write each of your three goals. Each goal should reflect your purpose for advancing your education at GCU, your purpose in life, and however you define your “purpose.”
2. Next, verify that each of your goals is a SMART goal. The goal characteristics, Specific, Measurable, Attainable, Realistic, Timely, are listed in the left column. Identify how each SMART characteristic is included in your goals. Complete all the columns in the worksheet.
3. Identify two main discoveries you made about how you spend your time – based on the 3-day sample from the Topic 1 Time-Monitoring Worksheet. Recopy them on this worksheet. Also, note what you spent more and/or less time doing than you thought you would. Write these also. Below is an example of one area (personal goal) completed; please use this as a guide to fill out the entire chart for all areas: personal, academic, and professional goals.
|Personal Goal||Academic Goal||Professional Goal|
|More/Less Time Than Thought|
Personal Accountability Plan
Instructions: Making a time management plan that helps achieve your goals is relatively easy. Sticking to the plan is the difficult part. That is why the Personal Accountability Plan is so important.
1. To help you be personally accountable for your goals, you will apply four actions, based on your Time Monitoring and Goal Setting assignment.
2. Look at the first action, “Change my time management plan.” To complete the plan, you must identify an “Action Plan,” that is, a plan for implementing the action – for each of your three goals. Below is an example of one of the questions answered in the action plan; please use this as a guide to fill out the entire chart.
|Change my time management plan: How can it support achieving my goals?||Personal||Take 2 hours a day to do what I want!|
|Academic||Study at least 3 hours per day during the week.|
|Professional||Read in professional publications 2-3 hours a week.|
|Change my time management plan: How can it support achieving my goals?||Personal|
|Monitor my progress: How well am I working toward achieving my goals?||Personal|
|Feedback process: How can I tell when my time management plan is off-target and needs correction?||Personal|
|Create a strategy:
How can I or reward myself for following my time management plan and moving toward my goals?