· SPECIFIC: The goal includes clear descriptions of the knowledge and skills that will be taught.
· MEASURABLE: This means that the skill can be counted and will allow parent and teachers to know how much progress the child has made over a specific period of time.
· ATTAINABLE: The goals must be a reasonable estimate of the child’s ability to attain.
· RELEVANT: The relevant goals must address the child’s identified needs that result from the disability and are not based on the curriculum or other tests.
· TIME-BOUND: The goals must be limited by time. Most often, the 12-month period is used. This allows you to monitor progress at regular intervals of time.