Floyd, K. (2017). Interpersonal communication (3rd ed.). New York, NY: McGraw-Hill.
· Chapter 2, “Culture and Gender” (pp. 34-68)
Mel, B. (1998). Going global: Implications for communication and leadership training. Industrial & Commercial Training, 30(4), 123.
Molinsky, A. (2013). How to adapt behavior across global cultures. Mworld, 12(3), 36–38.
Oetzel, J., Dhar, S., & Kirschbaum, K. (2007). Intercultural conflict from a multilevel perspective: Trends, possibilities, and future directions. Journal of Intercultural Communication Research, 36(3), 183–204.
Van Dyne, L., Soon, A., & Koh, C. (2008). Development and validation of the CQS: The cultural intelligence scale. In L. Van Dyne & L. Soon (Eds.), Handbook of cultural intelligence: Theory, measurement, and applications (pp. 16–38). Armonk, NY: M.E. Sharpe.
To prepare for this Collaboration Activity
· Complete the 20-item, Four Factor Cultural Intelligence Scale (CQS) in your Resources.
· Recall the activities from last week in which you explored cultural norms and dimensions of culture.
To complete this Collaboration Activity
By Day 3
Post 3–4 paragraphs that address the following:
· Explain what you learned about your cultural intelligence after completing the scale.
· Explain how your understanding of your cultural intelligence informs your interpersonal communication practice.
· Based on your score, explain some areas in which you can improve your cultural competence.
By Day 5
Respond with 2–3 paragraphs that address the following:
· Identify similarities and differences between your scores and your peers. Explain why these similarities and differences might exist.
· Share an insight that you gained from a peer’s post. Explain how the insight has changed or reaffirmed your perception of your cultural intelligence.
To prepare for Stage 3 of the Course Project
· Consider individuals in your selected organization that might have a unique cultural dimension.
· Research approaches for communicating in the context of the unique cultural dimension.
To complete Stage 3 of the Course Project
By Day 5
Submit and post to the Discussion Board for peer critique, a 3- to 5-page paper which addresses the following:
· Explain how you will use the concepts of mindfulness and cultural dimensions to inform approaches you will take to share the interpersonal communication skill.
· Explain how you will modify approaches to create a culturally appropriate context for at least two specific individuals in the identified organizational setting.
By Day 7
Respond to at least two colleagues’ posts and provide a critique to help your colleagues improve their Course Project including the following:
· Highlight one aspect of the approach that was particularly effective. Explain why it was effective and how you feel it will be a benefit to the project.
· Suggest, if appropriate, one additional idea, concept, or perspective that would add to the effectiveness of your colleagues’ approach and provide a rationale for the suggestion.
By Day 7
Submit a 1- to 2-page Journal entry including the following:
· How can cultural intelligence scales assist in pinpointing areas for improving cultural competence?
· Why is it necessary to create culturally sensitive contexts for interpersonal communication to be effective?
· A brief summary of your Week 5 reflections
· A brief explanation of your plans for your upcoming work on the Course Project