Type: Discussion Board
Unit: National Homeland Security Policy Objectives and National Strategy
Due Date: Tue, 7/17/18
Grading Type: Numeric
Points Possible: 75
Points Earned: 0
Deliverable Length: 400–600 words
View objectives for this assignment
Looking for tutoring? Go to Smarthinking
Collapse All | Expand All Collapse All | Expand All
Primary Discussion Response is due by Friday (11:59:59pm Central), Peer Responses are due by Tuesday (11:59:59pm Central).
As you have learned in Weeks 1 and 2, today’s homeland security strategic planning is occurring in an extremely dynamic environment. While Week 1 presented the basics and concepts of strategic planning, Week 2 surveyed the history of homeland security strategic planning in the U.S. and then focused on the numerous federal homeland security (and emergency management) strategic plans that have been produced. You learned that there are similarities and incongruities between the various federal plans in such areas as timeliness of the plan revision, the transparency of the plan development process, and the strategic planning methodology used to develop the plan.
Primary Task Response: Within the Discussion Board area, write 400–600 words that respond to the following questions with your thoughts, ideas, and comments. This will be the foundation for future discussions by your classmates. Be substantive and clear, and use examples to reinforce your ideas:
· In what ways is the environment in which current federal homeland security strategic planning is occurring dynamic?
· Briefly review the 2002 and 2007 versions of the National Strategy for Homeland Security (NSHS).
· Do you think the 2007 version is an improvement upon the previous versions? Explain your answer.
· Briefly review each of the following plans:
· National Security Strategy 2010
· National Strategy for Combating Terrorism 2006
· DHS Strategic Plan 2012-2016
· The Quadrennial Homeland Security Review 2010
· Which planning model, (i.e., issue-based, goals-based, or organic) do you think best applies to each one, and why? (Note: Mixed-method models are acceptable.)
· Do you think that the Strategic Planning Cycle or the Strategic Planning Process Map methodologies is the best fit for federal homeland security strategic planning? Explain your response.
Responses to Other Students: Respond to at least 2 of your fellow classmates with at least a 100-word reply about their Primary Task Response regarding items you found to be compelling and enlightening. To help you with your discussion, please consider the following questions:
· What did you learn from your classmate’s posting?
· What additional questions do you have after reading the posting?
· What clarification do you need regarding the posting?
· What differences or similarities do you see between your posting and other classmates’ postings?
For assistance with your assignment, please use your text, Web resources, and all course materials.
Bryson: Ch. 3, 4
· Discuss and describe the primary elements of the National Response Plan.
There is no additional information to display at this time.