Discussion Board Forum 2 Instructions
Topic: Intellectual Property
This discussion board is largely inspired by material found in your course textbook:
Kubasek, N. K., Browne, M. N., Barkacs, L., Herron, D., & Dhooge, L. (2016). Biblical worldview edition of dynamic business law. N. J. Kippenhan (Ed.). New York, NY: McGraw Hill Education.
Review the Case Opener at the beginning of Chapter 8: Technology Companies at War, as well as this article about a Supreme Court decision in the Samsung/Apple Patent Litigation.
Samsung and Apple continue to fight to protect their rights to their intellectual property, just as any company fights to protect the real, personal, and intellectual property on which its business, revenues, and reputation are based. These same property issues are at stake in the pharmaceutical and biomedical industries, where patents on medicines, medical devices, cutting-edge genomic therapies, etc. form much of a company’s livelihood.
For this discussion board forum, respond to the 3 questions in the Business Ethics Flashpoint 8.1 in your text. Your response must explain how you balance the interests at stake, including:
· How should a for-profit corporation balance its business needs with the needs of its customers?
· Lives depend on products created by some companies. Do these companies have a greater responsibility to work towards benefitting the consumer more than themselves?
· Look at the issue from a biblical worldview. How would you respond if you were running such a company?
Your thread must explain how you balance the interests at stake including:
· Creator v. Consumer in the creation and management of intellectual property
· Profit and return on investment for company owners/shareholders
· Continuing existence of the company
· Protecting intellectual property of the company
· Needs of patients, practitioners, and society
· Biblical support and guidance for your positions
· Any other legal and ethical concepts you believe may be relevant
Your thread must also be at least 1,000 words and follow the guidelines outlined in the Student Expectations.
To successfully post your thread, you must both (1) upload a Microsoft Word copy of the thread to the provided SafeAssign assignment link, and (2) copy the content of the thread and paste it into the Discussion Board Forum. Do not post attachments in the forum; they will not be accepted or graded.
Reply to the threads posted by 2 classmates who supported a different balance, or used a different rationale, than you did on at least 1 of the issues under discussion. Identify the points of difference between the analyses and explain how your application of the relevant law to the facts of this situation led you to a different conclusion.
Submit your thread by 11:59 p.m. (ET) on Sunday of Module/Week 5, and submit your replies by 11:59 p.m. (ET) on Sunday of Module/Week 6.
Page 2 of 2